Saturday, February 21, 2015

We used to put on magic shows . . .


"We used to put on magic shows—chemistry magic—for the kids on the block. . . . We did our tricks on a little table, with Bunsen burners at each end going all the time. On the burners we had watch glass plates (flat glass discs) with iodine on them, which made a beautiful purple vapor that went up on each side of the table while the show went on. It was great! We did a lot of tricks, such as turning 'wine' into water, and other chemical color changes. For our finale, we did a trick that used something which we had discovered. I would put my hands (secretly) first into a sink of water, and then into benzine. Then I would 'accidentally' brush by one of the Bunsen burners, and one hand would light up. I'd clap my hands, and both hands would then be burning. (It doesn't hurt because it burns fast and the water keeps it cool.) Then I'd wave my hands, running around yelling, "FIRE! FIRE" and everybody would get all excited. They'd run out of the room, and that was the end of the show!"

Richard P. Feynman . . . "Surely You're Joking, Mr. Feynman!" . . . 53-54

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home